2019 TAOS FIESTA ROYAL COURT PAGEANT Criteria
Pageant Date: Saturday, June 8, 2019
Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
• Must be female and between the ages of 16 and 20; cutoff date for completing 16 years of age and for not being any older than 20 years of age is Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
• Must be a Baptized Catholic and provide a copy of Baptismal Certificate.
• Must provide a copy of Birth Certificate.
• Must have been born in Taos County or decedent of a family with established Taos roots, and have resided in Taos County for more than 50% of life time determined by age on Tuesday, April 30, 2019. If you were born in one of the hospitals surrounding Taos County such as Española; Los Alamos; Santa Fe; Albuquerque; and possible others, this will be considered valid as well.
• Must be of Hispanic decent/lineage and Spanish surnamed (maternal or paternal, Grandmothers maiden surnames considered eligible as well).
• Must be single, never been married, without biological children, and must not become pregnant throughout your reign as either the Taos Fiesta Queen or Taos Fiesta Princess.
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English and Spanish, as public speaking is required for various Fiesta and Community events throughout the year. Members of the Taos Fiesta Council will be available to assist members of the Royal Court practice their Spanish if required (only after Saturday, June 8, 2019, once the new court has been chosen and announced).
• Must be able to participate in the 2019 Taos Fiesta Royal Court Pageant to be held on Saturday, June 8, 2019 and participate in all meetings, and rehearsals pertaining to and leading up to the Pageant (schedule pending).
• Must be able and willing to participate in each category of the Pageant which consist of: Fiesta Attire, Bilingual Speech (Why I am competing to be the 2019 Fiesta Queen and what it means to me; 4 minute time limit), Research Paper (What Taos means to me, it’s history, culture, traditions and any other appropriate aspect; between 250 & 300 words typed, double spaced, 12 font, may incorporate illustrations, except photos with self or family), and Talent (of Taos Cultural Content/Significance).
• Candidate along with their parents or guardians will be required to sign a contractual agreement with the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc.
• Must be able to participate in all Fiesta de Taos events and out of town commitments including, but not limited to: San Luis, Colorado Fiestas; Santa Fe Fiestas; New Mexico State Fair; Taos County Fair; Martinez Hacienda Cultural Event; Christmas Activities; Albuquerque Old Town Fiestas; Taos Rodeo; Red River 4th of July Parade; Las Vegas Fiestas; Española Fiestas; and others events as they arise throughout the year (official schedule TBD).
• Must NOT during any Taos Fiesta Council, Inc. sanctioned event or while representing the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc. and/or the Taos Fiesta Royal Court (this includes Escorts/Caballeros accompanying them, regardless of age):
- Drink Alcohol or use illicit drugs
- Use abusive, profane or unkind language
- Make any offensive or inappropriate facial expressions, body language movement or hand gestures
- Create, accelerate or be involved in verbal or physical altercations
- Post any compromising, negative or obscene photos or language through any means of social or print media, electronic devices, etc., to include, but not limited to Facebook; Twitter; E-mail; Texts; etc.
- Have any visible Tattoos
- Have any Piercings other than on the ear lobes
• The Taos Fiesta Council, Inc. has a limit of five (5) contestants to participate in the Taos Fiesta Royal Pageant. In the event that more contestants apply, the first five (5) candidates to submit their completed application with all information required, copy of Baptismal and Birth Certificates, and comply with all of the criteria, between Monday, April 8, 2019 and Tuesday, April 30, 2019, will be selected to participate.
• Any violation of the criteria or policies may eliminate a candidate from competing in the Pageant. Determination is at the sole discretion of the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc.
Once candidates are official members of the Taos Fiesta Royal Court, these additional policies, as well as the aforementioned, apply to the Queen, Princess’ and Caballeros/Escorts
• Queen must relinquish the Fiesta Crown after every event to Elma Vigil, Chair, Royal Court Committee, or Elma’s designated member of the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc.
• Each member of the Taos Fiesta Royal Court is required to dress in full formal Fiesta Attire as required by the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc., at all times that they are in official capacity representing the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc.
• Each member of the Taos Fiesta Royal Court must travel with a designated member of the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc. as a group, unless special authorization of alternate accommodations has been granted by the Taos Fiesta Royal Court Chair or her designee. This includes arriving late or leaving any particular function early, etc.
• If a member of the Taos Fiesta Royal Court becomes pregnant or gets married, they must advise the President and Royal Court Committee Chair of the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc. and tender their resignation, gracefully in writing.
• Any violation of the criteria or policies may eliminate a Taos Fiesta Royal Court Member from participating in individual events and or removal from the Taos Fiesta Royal Court. Determination is at the sole discretion of the Taos Fiesta Council, Inc.
Please download the PDF linked below for Contact Information.